The word uniform it self means identical or consistent.
School uniforms are believed to be a practice which dates to the 16th century in the United Kingdom. It is believed that the Christ Hospital School in London in 1552 was the first school to use a school uniform.
Need essay sample on School Uniforms
specifically for you for only $12.90/page
In England, particularly in charity schools uniform dress was often provided for poor children. But in some Universities, primary schools and secondary schools uniforms were used as a marker of class and status.
According to scholars such as Nathan Joseph, clothing can only be considered a uniform when it :
(a) has a group emblem.
(b) reveals an individual’s relative positions in an institution.
Advantages of School Uniforms
1) School uniforms are made compulsory for all students since it helps reduce social conflicts within the school. This is so as not all students can keep up with the latest trends in fashion. So, if they don’t belong in the group when it comes to fashion, they often become the subject of ridicule and mockery obviously because other students see you as an outcast who doesn’t fit in. It can also cause bullying .
2) School uniforms reduces students clothing expenses for their day to day use. It is also beneficial for parents for it enables them to save extra cash.
3) School uniform promotes effective learning for all students. Students’ concentration will be focused more on their education rather than their wardrobes. Thus, school uniform is important for it creates an effective learning atmosphere.
The Disadvantages Of School Uniforms
1. Interferes With Creativity ,Self Expression and suppresses individuality
Clothing is a big way that people express who they are and their personal style every day. School uniforms deny students their right to freedom of expression and individuality, and can make them feel like they are being oppressed.
2. They cause resentment among students.
As children start to develop their own opinions, they won’t like being forced to do something they don’t want to. So requiring students to wear uniforms against their will can breed resentment towards the school, faculty, and even their parents.
Since there are some advantages and disadvantages of wearing school uniforms . I would like to conclude by saying wearing a school uniform is a better choice for students as it promotes effective learning and equality among them.